Saturday, February 09, 2008

Musings from Alabama.

So it's 2130 on a Friday night in Huntsville. I'm a visitor in the USA and I'm in bed.
Knackered
And very very full.
I cannot get used to the portions of food of here. They are just HUGE. I feel so guilty when I leave three quarters of the food on the plate. Three of us went out for a meal tonight and what we ordered could have easily feed six people to capacity. What we left was unbelievable. I guess you get used to it but holy shit...!

So work is going good over here. It's not a wasted trip which I always worry about.
I arrived in Alabama at 1830 on Tuesday after travelling for just a little under 19hours... it's a three flight, long old slog to get from Scotland to Huntsville. Anyway, I arrived and it was a little windy and pretty humid. 9 hours later I'm rudely awakened by the hurricane warning sirens and wondering what the hell to do about it. I have a quick wander around the hotel in my shreddies but no one else seems to be giving a crap about it so I return to my room and sit on the balcony and watch the most amazing lighting storm I have ever seen. I'm told a twister touched down a little way down the road, in Madison, and that it was pretty lucky that we didn't get hit.
Welcome to America!

The only weird thing that is happening over here is that I seem to be becoming a fascination for gay men. It started on the flight from London to Atlanta where the steward was flirting outrageously with me. I thought he was just being eccentric and overly friendly until my work colleague pointed out that he wasn't like that with anyone else on the flight.
Okaaaaaay.
We get to Atlanta and I'm immediately latched onto by another fella whilst waiting for the connecting flight.
Onto a restaurant in Huntsville and everything is cool. Five of us go out for a meal and, whilst waiting for a taxi to take us back to the hotel, I order a final round of drinks for everyone. The drinks arrive and then the barman returns with a little pink cocktail thingy for me, on the house!
Last night, another meal and another extremely flirty, over attentive waiter.
I'm not sure about our meal tonight but my two colleagues thought I was being flirted with again. It must have been subtle this time as I didn't notice.... I hadn't been stroked.
I'm not in the least bit concerned about all this but just find it a little strange. I don't get this at home. I spent 5 minutes looking at the mirror tonight and I can't see any difference in my appearance.
Maybe it's the accent.
Maybe it's my new black hair.
Maybe I'm surrounded by ugly colleagues and people are just latching onto the good looking guy.... (JOKE).
Maybe the transplant is making me excrete highly charged pheromones.
Bottom line? I'm enjoying the attention!

Cancer sure does give you some odd side effects.

----------
Currently on iPod :- Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

7 comments:

j said...

maybe there are pictures circulating on the internet of you with pom poms....yeah buddy, i told you to put that tequila down, but oh no! now look at what you have done. lol
j

Anonymous said...

Were you holding your pink sparkly pom poms? Because that could have done it. I always tell my husband he should be extremely flattered when he's been given special attention by gay guys because they are more preoccupied by and discerning of looks than women are very generally speaking, so, it's official, you're obviously a post SCT hottie! They should make a calendar. All twelve guys (or gals) could pose for the month of their new birthdays. When Spencer (my limey husband) first moved to NY, he at the time still smoked. We were walking on Christopher St. in the West Village, which is a predominantly gay (in both senses) enclave in town. I was trying to get him off cigarettes and we had a fight in the street when I heard him shout: "DIna, I don't care how you feel! I NEED to buy some fags right away!!! A bit oddly worded given that we were standing outside some store called Love Potion Number 69. My gay friend with whom we were walking was a bit startled.... I love that you are back and thanks for the lovely shout-out in your last post. You're still a light bulb when things are crap cause you're radiant, as is your missus and minors. Long live Waffle House.
-DIna S.

Veronica said...

OK - just slightly disconcerted by this post..........only this week i discover you have a lesbian following, one even admitting to having a crush on you now you're being actively hunted by gay men! Guess I better up the game at this end, huh?

Just hurry home to your WIFE and CHILDREN, you stud you, that is if your ego can fit back on the plane..........xx

R said...

You wandered around the hotel in SHREDDIES? No wonder you're getting some attention! (I have a very disturbing image of you walking around with just a few strategically placed bits of breakfast cereal on now!)

I'm glad you're posting again, Wullie!

Rach x

laulausmamma said...

Could be they like that you smell like you're using cream corn for an aftershave lotion Wullie. Glad you are having a good trip to Alabama. Hope you don't "stir up" any more storms while you are there.

Susan

B. said...

hehehe..

ditto on j's words.

When I start putting together that SCT calendar, you KNOW that picture is going on it ;)

It's good to know our target audience will be the lovely gays in alabama.

Hopefully you're almost home to those beautiful women of yours. Give them HUGE bekah kisses for me.

Tons of Love,
B

Duane said...

I'm so glad to see you back, Wullie.