Thursday, September 27, 2007

Day + 93 Things not much better.

Not much has changed since my last post. I'm still not eating and this has now been exacerbated by the fact that the radiotherapy has made swallowing an "issue"... that is, I can't swallow without being in extreme pain. The doc has prescribed a white liquid to take before meals that totally numbs the throat but I'm still not that keen on the actual physical act of eating. I can't get past the smell of cooked food without wanting to throw up.
It has become such a concern to me that I went to see a dietician yesterday and have being prescribed high calorie milkshakes... the same ones I had on the SCT. These too are disgusting to drink but it is easier on the throat than food so I am going to persevere with them. She told me I would be in trouble if I lose more weight between now and next week so I have an incentive to drink them!

I think the throat problem is due to having the radiotherapy so soon after SCT. Because I had grade IV mucositis my throat lining was wrecked. It probably hasn't recovered fully and now the radio is destroying the new cell lines faster than my body can replace and repair them.
Anyways, I'm off now. Number 10 of 20 treatments today so half way there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wullie, I so wish you would get better. That throat issue sounds awful.
Can you possibly tolerate homemade blended smoothies with yogurt and bananas or strawberries, then add a little protein supplement powder? When I was first diagnosed, I remember the "Welcome to Cancerland (my title)" packet that I received from the hospital listed all sorts of food recipes one could eat in case of a sore throat or nausea.
I'd be happy to e-mail more food ideas from the packet if you'd like them.
Much love,
Karen

Kelly Kane said...

Damnit, Wullie! I'm so annoyed that you're still feeling crappy, but at least you're officially half way done, AND the weekend is ahead, so you'll have a break! Get some rest! I could mail you some protein powder stuff if you want, not sure if it's easy to get there. You let me know, and I'll send it!! Thinking of you! XO

R said...

I'm sorry to read that you're feeling so rubbish Wullie.

Have you tried home-made ice cream? When I first started chemo and was feeling bleurgh, mum bought a cheap ice cream maker from Sainsbury's and loaded me up with about a million calories a day. That might be easier to swallow and at least you wouldn't be able to smell it. You could experiment with different things to see what tastes okay. The only thing our instruction book says is that meat ice cream is not advisable! The girls would probably enjoy it too.

Hope you feel better soon.

xxx

B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B. said...

Dearest Wullie,

I am so deeply sorry that you are struggling during this time period. The nausea combined with the soreness of your throat sounds unbearable. Wish we could take some of that pain from you sir.

Know, you'll be in my thoughts - as you count down these last 9 now? treatments left..

Big Hugs from your boston ladies <3

Bekah

Kelly Kane said...

Hi Wullie!!

It's been a while since we chatted. I hope you're feeling better - I have a feeling that you're finishing up radiation this week sometime?? I hope so, and I'm also hoping for a speedy recovery!

XO