Monday, October 08, 2007

Day + 104

I promised myself I wasn't going to update the blog until I had something positive or happy to say. Unfortunately I still don't have anything really positive to write about but I've been nagged to do a quickie update so here goes.
I have three more radiotherapy treatments to go and frankly they can't finish soon enough. The daily grind of a 4 hour round trip into Glasgow everyday has taken its toll and I am 100% puddle-ducked. I'm still not eating and the throat is worse than ever so I'm surviving on prescribed Calshakes. I take two a day and they give me nutrients and 1200 calories.... I've been told I need circa 3000 calories right now. The fact that I am managing to drink these shakes has meant that I don't need a feeding tube inserted in my nose and I have been managing a meal (usually something spicy) every other day. I'll be glad when this is over.

Day + 100 came and went. I didn't think I would make it but I did and I'm very much still alive. I managed to go from leaving hospital to day +100 without getting ill and then on day +101 I caught the nasty lurgy and cough that my little girls have been fighting all week. Bloody typical!

Big congratulations to Skie who was released from SCT today. At only day +12 she has shown remarkable strength and put me to shame! As too has my man Brian in California! Brian has to undergo what they call a "tandem SCT". This basically means that he has to have 2 SCTs in quick succession. Instead of getting BEAM chemo in a one'er like I did he gets the M for the first transplant and then the BEA part for the second. He has just been released from his first one and at day +16 appears to be doing just great.
Also, Duane continues to make a remarkable recovery from his allo-SCT and is a constant source of inspiration to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wullie - I hope you start to feel better buddy. Thanks for the mention in your blog (what a surprise). By the way, my chemo regimen for SCT 2 is actually BCNU, VP16 and Cytoxin so I'm not sure if that's the same as the B.E.A. chemo. Either way, went for labs today and I'm a little lower than normal on my WBC, RBC, HMG and platelets but they tell me that's normal. Thinking of you and wishing you a hearty appetite again soon!

Anonymous said...

Oops...forgot to sign my comment below/above - Brian

Anonymous said...

Wullie Wullie!

In regards to your intro, your blog entry today IS postive- you are positive that you'll be glad when this is over!

And so will I. Tons of love to you, V, and the girls from T.O.G.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie, nearly there, thanks for the update. Hope you have a lovely rest when this is all done and your throat quickly heals.

Vxx

Adrienne said...

Hi Wullie, So glad to see you've updated. I know that it seems like a long road but you're almost there. Your throat will get better quickly after the radio is done. Just keep trying to eat and keep your eye on the goal: a cure.

Hugs to you, Veronica, and the girls,

Alison

laulausmamma said...

Hi Wullie .... glad your rads are just about over and done with!!! Can't imagine how sore your throat must feel for you to not eat...but that will get better quickly once treatment is over. Keep up the good work recovering from your SCT...you are on my hero list along with Sarah, Annemarie, Brian, Skye and all our other forum family that continue to do battle so gallantly.

Big (((HUGS))) to you, Veronica and the girls.

Susan