Friday, July 20, 2007

It's Friday....

and I had a visit to the hospital today for routine blood tests and a chat with my haematologist. Apart from taking 20 minutes to find a vein to drain blood from... they are completely shot and the nurse was threatening to go through my ankle (I miss my line!)... everything was great. My blood counts are superb and my haematologist looked and sounded really impressed with the progress I have made. I now don't have to see ANYBODY for two weeks! I can't believe it! Two weeks without being prodded and poked and drained of blood. It's been a while since I have had this kind of freedom. Perhaps we can get away again for a few days?
What a difference a week does make. I can't believe what I can now achieve when I think back to how I was last week. The change is remarkable. I don't expect every week to progress as well but we can only hope!

After the hospital visit I went into the office to hand a sick-line in. Erin came in with me and, after promising to smile and say Hello to everyone, promptly went into sulky, shy mode. Thankfully Auntie Debbie in HR brought her out of herself with the traditional bribe of crisps and sweets. Winner every time. I think Erin will be wanting to come into the office with me every time I go in now!
I visited almost everyone I wanted to see; albeit very briefly as I didn't want to hang around a "dirty" environment for too long... plus I was knackered. Bob hinted about a potential project I could work on from home but thinking back I think I was being fobbed off again!!! I think he just wants me to get better asap and forget work until I return... then batter me with stuff!!!!
I went back to HR to see Debbie again only to find she had fetched Veronica and Rebecca in from the car and a full on picnic was on the go in the middle of her office. I hope we didn't trash it too much! I really wanted to see Peter of the Charities Committee to thank him personally for all the money he has helped raised for The Lymphoma Association but that end of the building is just too dirty due to people coming and going from farms. I thought I'd better play it safe and stay away. I'll make sure I get him next time.

Rest of the day has been pretty uneventful. Just watching The Open on the TV and resting up as it has been the busiest day I have had since leaving hospital. I'm knackered but I made it through with the usual unequivocal love and support from my beautiful wife.
Veronica, however, is absolutely shattered. She took the girls into town to do the weekly shop. It's hard enough when I'm there and I get the impression Becca was in one of her moods so it can't have been easy. I wish there was more I can do to take the pressure off her.
All I can do is make sure I don't do anything stupid to set my recovery time back and make it up to her when I recover a bit more. This could be a problem as I have a habit of doing stupid but I'll do my best.

Oh, Chris and Vicky and Kelly, if you read this we're gonna have to nail down some potential dates for Boston. I've talked Veronica into leaving the children with my folks.
I want my DUCK tour.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never Fear!!!

12 packets of Cinnamon Tic-taks will shortly be Airborne on part 1 of their epic trip back to the UK.

Alex + Willie

Anonymous said...

Wullie --

SO glad you're doing SO well after the SCT. Thinking of you and V lots, and um, I'm so IN on that duck tour (yes I'm inviting myself) with you and Kel.

And Kel - I'm thinking we might need to take Veronica on a nice dinner cruise in the harbor, just the girls ;)

Total Boston cancer party. Sending big hugs to you, V, and the girls.

Tons of Love,

Bekah

Kelly Kane said...

Wow Wullie, lots like Bekah has already started with all the planning, she's much better than I am! :) Oh and I got your comment about tic taks ans gum and I'll gather some things up shortly to send you - anything else you would like while I'm getting this stuff together??? SPEAK UP! :) Oh and I don't think I have your address, so email me it... Glad you're feeling good, get your rest!!

laulausmamma said...

Sounds like you had a great day yesterday Wullie. So glad you are feeling up to being out and about a bit. Do take it easy and take care of yourself so you don't take a few steps backwards in your recovery. (((Hugs))) to you, Veronica and the girls...you are often in my thoughts.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie, Oh yes...lets get it booked! Great to see you are doing well.

Vickyxx

Chris said...

Wullie
Its great to see you improving rapidly, soon you will be able to play that 10 minutes in goal!!!
Deffo for the Boston trip, Vic mentioned June 08 but we are flexible, lets book the flights and worry about the kids after?
All the best and good to see that pecker is on the up!
Chris