Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Day +1 Count up to release begins.

Just having a wee lie down at the moment in an attempt to keep my strength up so I thought I'd write some random nonsense down here whilst I await my last bags of cells.
I was checked out by the consultant again this morning and everything is spot-on. The phrase "perfect progress at this stage" was used so I'm well chuffed about that. I thought I'd be crawling under the bed covers moaning in agony by now. I've also been told that they'll kick me out when my neutrophils hit the 0.5 mark. I thought it was at least 1.0 so this is another boost for me.

On the down side my mouth is definitely starting to feel the effects of the chemo so this could be the start of the pain. Hopefully it won't be too bad but it would be rude to say no to opiates if they get offered. To be honest, and I have no idea where this positive new me has come from recently, but I don't think it is going to be that bad.

I've also been wondering to myself why I'm keeping this blog... I told you this was a random post! At first I believed I was doing it to keep friends and family aware of my ongoing situation and to stop having to repeat myself. Maybe even to help people behind me who find themselves in this situation in the future. It probably was; but it has evolved into a bit more than that now. I think I'm now doing it for more personal and perhaps selfish reasons.
I need to see daily that I am giving everything that I can in this fight against The Hodge and I need people on the outside to see it as well. I don't want anyone at any point thinking that I am giving into it and if the worst ever did happen I want my girls to be able to read through it and know that their Daddy did everything he possibly could to win.
I also like being centre of attention as well!!

Nowt but Wimbledon on the TV as well. At least this time last year I was skiving off watching the World Cup... but tennis? I draw the line at that. Such a boring game to watch.

Twinkies on eBay. Whatever next! Thanks again for them!

Oh, and I still stink of sweetcorn!

9 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Dear Smelly Sweet Corn Wullie,

Good to hear you're doing good. And yes, it's totally ok to be selfish with the blog, you are doing it for all the right reasons, you need people rooting you along, and you need to be able to read about your adventure once it's all over! :) Start thinking of snacks you want and I'll go shopping!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie, you must be strong if you can manage a twinkie at the moment! Keep your(woody wood)pecker up..heehee

Vickyxx

Veronica said...

Ahhhh - Vicky - thankyou for clarifying the Woody Woodpecker mug..........I'm a bit slow at things like that - NEVER do cryptic crosswords! Thanks for explaining............xx

Anonymous said...

It only occured to me that you might no have realised what we were getting at today on the way to work, brightened up my journey, had a giggle to myself-you must have thought I was odd sending you a Woody Woodpecker mug! I am but thats not the point.

Hope you have had a good day Wullie or as good as it can be.

Hope you get a good night sleep.

Vickyxx

laulausmamma said...

Hey Wullie you sweet smelling guy,

Hope the treatment hasn't knocked you through a loop and made you opt for the heavy drugs to knock you out....but if it did...hope it's manageable.

I'm off to visit with my older daughter for a long weekend - getting the bus/then train after work this afternoon. She lives 3 hours north of us. I'll be going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to volunteer with her tomorrow (she actually works there). Don't know what computer access I'll have for the next few days.

As always - I'll be thinking about you - especially as the bus/train goes through the agricultural areas on the way to Fresno and there's corn fields on either side as far as the eye can see : }

Stay well - keep fighting...and keep adding to your blog.

(((HUGS)))

Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie,

Sweet corn, huh? I thought it smelled sort of fishy but sweet corn sounds a lot better. Adrienne stunk for days afterward. :o)

She also had a hard time with melphalan, mouth sores, mucousitis, nausea. Hopefully yours will be less eventful, but don't hesistate to ask for pain meds. The PCA pump is a wonderful thing.

I love reading your updates.

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was from Alison (Adrienne's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hope you are ok Wullie, seems ages since you last posted. My bet is 12 days....

Hope you are snoozing through the rough times, hope you get all the meds you need.


Vickyxx

Kelly Kane said...

Hey Stinky!!

Here's my daily comment, a little late for you today, you might already be in bed. Hopefully today is going well. I'm off to Block Island tomorrow for 3 weeks - but don't worry, I'll have internet access and I'll be taking lots of pictures and posting them. Hopefully you'll feel up to posting an update tomorrow, I'm looking forward to see how the roaches like sweet corn!!

Kelly