Tuesday, May 22, 2007


Lungs A-OK.

Got to the hospital nice and early today only to spend 20 minutes looking for a parking space. It was bedlam there today. I've never seen a hospital so busy.
Anyway the lung tests were straight forward enough... just breathing into a big machine and carrying out three different procedures. A lung volume test, a "speed" test (how quickly I can exhale the air in my lungs) and a gas mixture test. Mine are all with "normal ranges" so the tester reckons that, as far as the old lungs go, I'm fit enough for transpGlant. I still intend to work on getting them stronger though as it can't hurt, can it?

From the respiratory lab I went along to get my antibiotics. I also got some blood work results back from yesterday that showed my haemoglobin was still lower than normal (97) but on the up so I had to be happy with that. At around 1230 I was ready to go and just walking out of the ward when the care fairy called me back. There was a PS in my notes that said my oncologist wanted to see me after my final antibiotic dose. She phoned him up and he said he would be there by 1500! Oh, well. Another day wasted as there was no way in hell I was leaving the hospital in the car and having to come back to fight for a space.
1500 arrived and the onc appeared. Asked if I was OK, checked my blood results and said "All is fine; see you later."!
A 2 and a half hour wait for a 40 second consultation. Pah.

Better safe than sorry, I suppose, but it meant I didn't have time to cook my gorgeous Irish stew for dinner as I need a good 4 hours to do it. I'll do it on Sunday.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wullie / Veronica.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for your comments and support, you are right on all fronts. Bit of a bummer is just right but I will get over it.
KYPU.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie, great that you are gaining strength! The Irish stew sounds good. You will have to let us have the recipe and I will do it for Chris. If you enjoy cooking Dazs brother has some good recipes on his blog. Yummy! Time for tea.

Speak soon
Vxx