Sunday, May 27, 2007

Chemo Brain... does it ever go away?

Today we arranged to treat some good friends and their kiddies for lunch. Claire and Steve have been so supportive over this last year and have dropped everything on a good number of occasions now when I have had to rush into hospital and things of that nature. When you think that they have two kiddies the same age as ours it can't have been easy on them. Anyway, this was just our little token way of saying "Thanks"... we'll try and get them out for an evening meal without the children soon.
So we set out to meet them at the restaurant (well, pub with children's play area) only to discover when we got there that it is closed for renovations... not a good start. 5 minutes of humming and ha-ing and we choose the next decent pub lunch place and set off.
I'm thinking to myself that the kiddie mobile is running really well after its recent service and that my mechanic has really done a good job. The pedals feel soft and responsive and I have a quick look down at them. I look back to the road and then look back down again.
Bugger...
I've got my slippers on.
I'm going out in public, for a meal, and I've got my damn slippers on.
D'oh!
Veronica, as supportive as ever, does her best to not wet herself laughing and, fair play to her, she just about manages it although I'm going to be ribbed about it for the foreseeable future.
The food was typical bar food but the company was great. The weans trashed the place and ate next to nothing as they just wanted to go and play in the play area. I managed to squeeze in a Fat-Boy Mixed grill... even after the huge Chinese meal last night. I need to lose weight before transplant, not pile it on! It's just so good having taste buds again though!

Well it's off to see my oncologist tomorrow morning for the full results of the CT Scan. Even though I know they are going to be OK I'm still a bit nervous about it... ever the pessimist!
Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Wullie
Sounds like you are having fun which is great to hear, and forget about the slipper thing, its a man thing, can't multi skill...think and action at the same time - not!
Hope you have a good week.
Cheers
Chris.

Chris said...

Oh and can we do Boston with you?

R said...

Congrats on the great news!

About the slipper thing... think yourself lucky that chemo brain is only temporary. Some of us have to live our entire lives as blondes - I'm the kind of person who'll drive along worrying about where my car keys are... and that was before chemo!

Hope the weather's being nicer to you than it is to me!

Rach