Saturday, May 05, 2007

Another mountain climbed. Another hurdle negotiated. Another milestone reached. Blah blah blah!

We've made it through the third and final cycle of DHAP chemotherapy and I now have a break from being poisoned for a good month. Alleluia!
I went into hospital on Tuesday full of anxiety due to the messy nature of the last time but I needn't have worried. Apart from the fact that the lab managed to lose my 24 hour kidney urine sample (please explain to me how you can lose a whole GALLON of wee wee) and thus delaying chemo for a for a couple of hours whilst they could the kidney results via bloodwork it was smooth going. There was a slight concern with some blood levels... my haemoglobin and magnesium levels where a bit low but they managed to stay high enough for me to avoid the hassle of a blood transfusion so I was really pleased about that.
No sleep again in the hospital but that's ok. I'm home now and can hopefully catch up over the next few days. Veronica and I are both pretty beat up and tired but delighted that we have gotten over these last couple of months relatively easily. Looking back you realise just how much worse it could have been. Don't get me wrong now.... it has been really tough but at the end of the day I am still here and fighting and that is all I can ask for.

As far as I am concerned I now have only one procedure left to go and that will be it. The date for the Stem Cell Transplant came through today. I get admitted to Glasgow Royal on 19th June 2007 and my final seven sessions of chemo EVER will start on the 20th. If all goes well my stem cells will be re-introduced and I will be "re-born" on the 28th June 2007. I'll then have three to four more weeks in hospital whilst my immune system regrows.

Oh.
I'll be cured after all that as well!!!!
I'm sure of it.

No comments: