Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Scanxiety:-
1) Concern or solicitude during the time period between receiving a scan and waiting for the results which disturbs the mind and keeps it in a state of painful uneasiness.
2) A general feeling of shit-ness

This is where I'm at just now. In a state of "scanxiety"... a word that needs to be added to the Oxford English Dictionary. It is truly a shit state of mind to be in and, no matter what you do, you can't help but think the worst. Thursday can not come quick enough.

Also, whilst I'm on a bit of rant can I say that just because I'm no longer getting any chemo and haven't started radiotherapy yet does not mean I am back to "normal". Yes, I do look "healthy" but I am still battling serious fatigue and the side effects of the SCT... one of the hardest procedures a cancer patient can go through. Why do people expect me to be instantly better and able to run a marathon. Give me a fecking break here... it's only 56 days since the transplant and I don't get classed as surviving it until day + 100!!
Let's have a quick run down of the drugs that I have taken during 16 months of CONSTANT treatment.

ABVD
ABVD is named after the initials of the chemotherapy drugs used, which are
doxorubicin (pronounced docks-o-rou-bi-sin), which was originally called Adriamycin®),
bleomycin (blee-o-my-sin),
vinblastine (vin-blas-teen) and
dacarbazine (de-car-ba-zeen).

DHAP
DHAP is named after the drugs that are used in the treatment. This includes
High Dose Dexamethasone (pronounced decks-a-meth-a-sone), which is a steroid, and the chemotherapy drugs
cytarabine (sigh-tare-a-been), which is sometimes called Ara C, and
cisplatin (sis-pla-tin), which contains platinum.

BEAM
BEAM is the nuclear weapon of Hodgkins treatment. the drugs involved are
BCNU which is also called carmustine and mainly used to treat brain cancer. I have had my life dose of this drug in one go.
cytarabine (sigh-tare-a-been), which is sometimes called Ara C
VP-16 which is also called Etoposide (pronounced e-top-o-side)
Melphalan (pronounced mel-fa-lan)
(Bone marrow now dead so transplant to revive it)

This does not include the daily drugs I have to take in order to keep infection at bay and to prevent pneumonia and shingles.

I challenge anyone to take all those drugs in the same time period as me and feel "normal" as soon as you finish.
Go on. Let's see you do it.

4 comments:

Kelly Kane said...

Awww Wullie, it seems like we both have the crappy moods going on. I'm sorry that you're stuck waiting on your scan until Thursday. Try and keep yourself as busy as possible and hopefully that'll help the time fly by! Love you lots, and hang in there! You've been thru a lot, and at some point you gotta get good news! :)

Chris said...

Wullie, I'd hate to meet you in a bad mood!!!!!
Who ever has upset you needs a dose of your finest, and mine and all the others. We do understand fully but there are many that don't because they have not been affected themselves.
Keep you pecker up as well and hope Thursday brings the good news you have been waiting for.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Wullie, Hope all ok today, thinking of you! Vickyxx

Anonymous said...

Wullie, who in the heck is telling you that you should just automatically feel "normal" now after all of those months of receiving hardcore drug treatments AND being in the hospital for CANCER??? CANCER!?

It IS quite difficult, no, impossible, for people to relate if they haven't been there, I suppose.

No one just "bounces back" from this- it's a difficult concept to grasp, I guess, when we are still alive and walking about and making our jokes and living our lives. The internal damage, both mental and physical, cannot be seen.

Maybe, and I mean, in the nicest way possible, ask someone to imagine how they might react if THEIR doctor said to them, "I'm sorry, you have cancer." From what I recall, in the all the years I had before actually being told that I DID have cancer, I always thought that those were the most dreaded words on the planet. Still do.

Frustrated-for-you hugs,
TOG