Monday, July 09, 2007


The Only Way is Up..............Baby! (sing it with me, now!)


Day +13


OK - 2nd time of trying .................


Yup, we've definitely hit rock bottom today (I hope!) and are looking forward to some improvements from here onwards.


The powers that be decided that Wullie's ongoing high temperatures are due to recurring line infections in his Hickmann/Apheresis line so they whipped it out today. Not a pleasant procedure, but straight forward enough (at least for me, I wasn't allowed in and sat and played my DS in the corridor!!). The up-side to no line is that hopefully his temperature will come down and behave itself and he will start to feel better. The down-side is that he now has a venflon in each hand attached to drips on either side of his bed pumping in all kinds of fluidy things to his body. This makes standing up and moving nigh on impossibilities...........which is fine as the bug that has moved in has left him completely zapped of energy. Wullie has found today one of the hardest...........his counts are doing brilliantly, rising quickly yet his body is not healing itself which results in much frustration - he just wants to feel well again and come home!


Tomorrow is another day..................hopefully the next post will have definitive home-coming news..................fingers, toes, eyes, legs, anything that moves crossed please................xx

11 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Kane said...

Hi Veronica! Thanks for the update on Wullie. I'm sorry to hear the hickman was being a bitch, but hopefully he'll start to heal up now that it's out. Fingers and toes crossed for a return home date soon!! Hang in there, it's gotta get better soon! :) Send my love to Wullie!

Kelly Kane said...

PS Ooops, sorry I deleted my first comment bc it got screwed up :)

laulausmamma said...

Hi Wullie - sorry to hear that you are still feeling so lousy. Hopefully taking the hickman out will help bring the fever down and perk u up a bit. The one good thing about feeling so badly...is that you'll really appreciate feeling so good again. Hope that happens real soon.
(((Hugs))) to you both. Got everything crossed for better news tomorrow.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Now, Wullie--you need to start kicking it in overdrive here! My bet was for +15 days when they kick you out, and I certainly don't want to lose a bet!!! Hope you start feeling dramatically better now that your Hickman is out.

Hugs!! Skye

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica and Wullie. I hope that the Hickman removal gets you feeling better very soon, Wullie. Rest up, heal up, keep your pecker up (as I've heard they say in the UK) and get back home! Love and hugs, TOG

Chris said...

Wullie and Veronica
Things can only get better.... another one for you to humm..
All thinking of you at this difficult time. Take it easy and remember that good things come to those who wait!
Cheers
Chris

Anonymous said...

I had my Apheresis line removed during my transplant too - I got home for one day and then my temperature zoomed up overnight and the Hickman got removed a day after that I think. I also found recovering from the SCT demoralising as I got pneumonia and RSV whilst my counts were coming up (I guess about 2 weeks after transplant), so the feeling bad continued for a long time! Thinking of you!
Fionn

Anonymous said...

Hi Wullie and Veronica,
There are many interesting differences in slang between Scotland and US - but 'keep your pecker up' has to be one of the best. Whatever it means there, I hope you both keep all your body parts up! I'm so sorry to hear about the pain, but I couldn't be happier to hear about the cell count. Hugs all around, Peggy

Kelly Kane said...

Hey buddy!!

I realized that I've been slacking on leaving you comments, even though you're probably not reading them, but most likely Veronica is relaying the messages! I hope everyday is a little better than the day before! Soon enough you'll be outta that cockroach infested place :)

Kelly

Darrel Hale said...

Wullie! Brother! Hope things are getting better. I am getting my line out tomorrow, so you beat me there! Keep up the good fight and we hope to hear from you soon.
-Darrel