Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Somehow Monday night turns into Tuesday morning. I don't think either me or my wife got a great deal of sleep. When I did manage to grab some zzzs I would wake up and have that gorgeous hazy feeling that everything is ok... then the brain would kick in and it would all come flooding back.

Bugger.

I'm just struggling to understand and accept at the moment. I'm google'ing everything to see if the growth in my chest could be something else but I can't find anything! I feel great physically and don't have any symptoms.... how the hell can it be back?
I guess I should be grateful that such an early CT picked up something so that I can get treated asap but I'm not. I'm angry. I've had a clean PET and told I'm in remission. I feel cheated.

My oncologist nurse from the hospital has called and explained the next steps in my fight with "The Hodge". I think alot was said yesterday but my head was a bit mashed to take it in. I stick her on speaker phone so that my sane, level-head and beautiful wife can hear as well.
Basically I'm going to go into hospital as an out-patient on Thursday 15th March and get a central line / Hickman line fitted. This is just to make the administration of the chemo a lot easier. I'll then have a few days at home and on Wednesday 21st I'll be admitted to hospital for 4 nights.
Woo, and indeed, Hoo. Can't wait.
On Thursday I'll start my treatment (called DHAP) and that'll last until Saturday. All going well I can leave on Sunday and have a couple of weeks rest before it kicks off again.
After my second course of DHAP I'll pop through to Glasgow Royal and have what is called a Stem Cell Harvest. This is in case they decide to give me the transplant. Seemingly it's no big deal (the harvest, that is) but I'll fill you in when I've learnt a bit more about it all. I'll probably have another CT scan done after this second course of chemo to make sure the little bugger in my chest is disappearing or, please God, has gone. I'll then have another rest period before the third and final dose of chemo.
All talk is of "Total erradication of disease" and "CURE". These are superb things to be hearing.

Sounds good, eh?

My folks have also come for a visit. Veronica and I need all the support we can get and they really are a comfort at a time like this. Sometimes you just need your Mummy and Daddy.
Family and friends are rallying round again in the same way as when I was first diagnosed last May. I know for a fact that Veronica gains great strength from all this love and support and she feeds this directly into my soul. Whenever I've been on a complete downer today she has somehow picked me up and got me positive again. We will beat this.
On a more personal note I've opened up my direct channel to my Grannie in heaven again. She gave me so much strength last time around and I'll know she'll be onhand to give it again whenever I need it.
I am truly blessed to have such positive people surrounding me.

Away from cancer, I can't find my slippers. Now, I don't live in a big house and it is quite hard to lose things, but I can't find the damn things anywhere. They're black, fluffy NEXT ones. Gimme a shout if you see them.

No comments: