Monday, April 23, 2007

Phase One of Harvest complete!

My heroine Veronica having a well earned soup break!

Me and my buddy. It looks like it pre-date WWII.


Bag of live saving stem cell goodness!!!

We arrived at the hospital in Glasgow at 0900 sharp and bloods were taken to get a full count and see what was in it. We came back at 1100 to mixed but, ultimately in the great scheme of things, great news. My blood hadn't recovered yet. It looks like it is just starting too BUT we can probably whap of 1million of the 4 million stem cells required today. Worst case scenario is it will take 4 days to get the figure required... best case is that I'll have a whoosh of cells overnight and I'll only need to be hooked up again on Tuesday.
I was delighted.
Because of the battering my bone marrow has taken with chemotherapy over the last year it would have been no surprise to anyone if they hadn't found any stem cells. My marrow just hasn't had time to recover. If it takes 4 days then it takes 4 days. I'm just grateful there is something there!
I was then hooked up to the machine that you can see in the photo and we were pretty much left alone for 4 hours. the machine just did it stuff and I ended up with a lovely bag of life-saving stem cell goodness.

Unhooked, home, knackered and ready for bed. Early nights all round for another early start tomorrow.

No comments: